Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Kofi Siriboe Talks About His Role In Queen Sugar



The popular family drama, Queen Sugar, which debuted on the OWN Network in 2016, has quickly become a fan favorite.

The Ava Duvernay (Selma) created, directed and executive produced series about three Bordelon siblings and the family farm they inherit after their father’s passing, debuted its second season with a two-night opener on June 20-21.

Set in Louisiana, Queen Sugar returns with the siblings still struggling to move forward. This season Charley (Dawn-Lyen Gardner, Unforgettable) relocates to Saint Josephine, LA to help run the family business. As the only black female sugarcane mill owner, she must fight to regain her independence while rebuilding her relationships with her estranged siblings. Ralph Angel (Kofi Siriboe, Girls Trip) struggles to transform from a formerly incarcerated single father to a landowner in the eyes of his family as he works to restore his relationship with his son’s mother. Nova (Rutina Wesley, True Blood), a journalist and activist finds herself torn between her activism and her desire to be loved. Together, they must learn to rely on one another as they navigate their tenuous bonds as family.

The support cast includes Tina Lifford (Parenthood) as the siblings’ free-spirited Aunt Violet; Omar J. Dorsey (Ray Donovan, Selma) as Violet’s much younger boyfriend Hollywood Desonier; DondrĂ© T. Whitfield (Mistresses) as trusted Bordelon family friend Remy Newell; Timon Kyle Durrett (Single Ladies) as Charley’s estranged husband and pro basketball player Davis West; Nicholas L. Ashe (The Lion King - National Tour) as Charley and Davis’ teenage son, Micah; Ethan Hutchison (The Path) as Ralph Angel’s son, Blue; and Bianca Lawson (Rogue) as Darla, Blue’s mother who battles drug addiction. Additionally, guest star Henry G. Sanders (Rocky Balboa) recurs as Prosper Denton, a farmer and longtime friend of the late Bordelon family patriarch, Ernest (Glynn Turman).

Queen Sugar is produced for OWN by Warner Horizon Scripted Television. The executive producers are Ava DuVernay, Oprah Winfrey and Monica Macer. The series is based on the book by Natalie Baszile.
Kofi Siriboe
One of the breakout stars of Queen Sugar is the hunky and popular Kofi Siriboe who has become the focus of the female fans of the show. Siriboe, whose personality matches his megawatt smile, will soon be seen (July 21, 2017) in the comedy Girls Trip with Queen Latifah, Regina Hall, Jada Pinkett Smith and Tiffany Haddish.  Some of his screen credits include Whiplash, The Longshots, Straight Out Of Compton and Kicks.  Siriboe’s career spans television, film and theater.

I recently caught up with Siriboe (Ralph Angel) at the Four Seasons hotel in Beverly Hills to talk about the show.

Kofi Siriboe
DD: Your character has made some shifts since he made his debut a year ago. Things have changed with Ralph Angel. Are you happy with the direction your character is going in?

KS: I don’t think I could be on this project with Ava (DuVernay) and Oprah (Winfrey) if I didn’t trust their vision.  I trust the direction of the show. We’re in good hands.

DD:  This season I’m told we’re going to see a different side of Ralph Angel.

KS:  I know the other side of Ralph Angel now it’s time for the audience to see that side. We all know how to get mad and upset so it just goes back to reality. We’re all human. Ralph Angel is human. As an actor I wouldn’t have a problem showing his humanity. 

DD:  Last season Ralph Angel showed his vulnerable side. Will we see more of that?

KS: I love how we get to see him in vulnerable moments when he’s with his son. I’ve also played roles where that love and vulnerability was portrayed differently. You should see a movie I made called, Kicks.

Kofi Siriboe in Kicks



DD: I did. It was one of my favorite movies last year.  Your character, Flaco, in that film was something else.

KS:  Flaco and Ralph Angel came from the same place, but they are different people.

DD: Are you encouraged or discouraged about the direction of the entertainment industry?

KS: I’m encouraged on a universal level. Personally I’m more of a creative control person. I have visions and worlds I want to bring to life.  My goal, coming into Hollywood when I was five years old, was to bring that life out.  It’s a journey getting there.  I’m enjoying that journey.

DD: What’s next?

KS: My next steps are about creating.  I don’t want to just work, work, work. I want to create things and tell great stories and bring real truth to the human experience. What you put out - you get back.

Oprah Winfrey and Kofi Siriboe

DD: Even though you’re already in the biz, it’s not easy going in another direction.

KS: There is a structure I have to navigate and be a part of. I can’t ignore the reality of the system.  I don’t let it delegate my drive, though. Hollywood is beautiful. I don’t fall victim to the allure of it. There is so much that you can fall victim to. It’s so beautiful.  At the end of the day, as long as I’m doing what I want to do, which is creating good stories and bringing that to the human experience – I’m good.

DD:  Talk about your new project, Girl Trip.

KS: Girl Trip is with Jada Pinkett Smith, Queen Latifah, Regina Hall and Tiffany Haddish.  It's a good film starring those four women. It’s based in New Orleans – same as Queen Sugar. I just think, I’m blessed. I’m attracting great roles and great projects.   It’s going to be an amazing movie. This film will make you laugh. It was a great way to decompress. I shot this about a week after I wrapped Queen Sugar.  I got to spend a month in a really silly atmosphere. That’s going to be another side of me that others don’t get to see.

The support cast for Queen Sugar includes Tina Lifford (Parenthood) as the siblings’ free-spirited Aunt Violet; Omar J. Dorsey (Ray Donovan, Selma) as Violet’s boyfriend Hollywood Desonier; DondrĂ© T. Whitfield (Mistresses) as trusted Bordelon family friend Remy Newell; Timon Kyle Durrett (Single Ladies) as Charley’s estranged husband and pro basketball player Davis West; Nicholas L. Ashe (The Lion King - National Tour) as Charley and Davis’ teenage son, Micah; Ethan Hutchison (The Path) as Ralph Angel’s son, Blue; and Bianca Lawson (Rogue) as Darla, Blue’s mother who battles drug addiction. Additionally, guest star Henry G. Sanders (Rocky Balboa) recurs as Prosper Denton, a farmer and longtime friend of the late Bordelon family patriarch, Ernest (Glynn Turman).

Queen Sugar is produced for OWN by Warner Horizon Scripted Television. The executive producers are Ava DuVernay, Oprah Winfrey and Monica Macer. The series is based on the book by Natalie Baszile.

Queen Sugar airs on the OWN network Wednesday nights at 10 p.m. ET/PT.





No comments:

Post a Comment