Monday, January 13, 2020

Russell Hornsby Stars In NBC Drama Series 'Lincoln Rhyme: Hunt for the Bone Collector'


Russell Hornsby

By Darlene Donloe

Russell Hornsby sits comfortably in the Tap Room of the Langham Huntington Hotel in Pasadena with an attitude of gratitude surrounding his star turn in the new NBC show, Lincoln Rhyme: The Hunt for The Bone Collector, which debuted Friday night.

Hornsby, a 25-year entertainment industry veteran plays Rhyme in the series based on the novel, The Bone Collector by Jeffery Deaver.

Dressed casually and well-coiffed, spending time with Hornsby reveals a serious man with a serious demeanor that’s matched only by the seriousness he exudes when talking about the craft of acting.  He’s proud of his career and looks forward to doing more good work.

During a session January 11 at the Television Critic Association conference, Barry O’Brien, executive producer of the show had nothing but praise for Hornsby.

“In this role he commands a room with his voice and eyes,” he said.

During his career Hornsby has portrayed a variety of strong, black men. He’s known for the roles Edward "Eddie" Sutton on ABC Family's Lincoln Heights, as Luke on the HBO drama In Treatment, as Detective Hank Griffin on the NBC series Grimm, and as Lyons in the movie Fences.

Russell Hornsby, Michael Imperioli, and Arielle Kebbel in
Lincoln Rhyme: Hunt for the Bone Collector

I recently caught up with Hornsby to talk about his latest show and his career.

DD: Tell me about Lincoln Rhyme.  Who is he?

RH:  He’s a forensic criminalist. He’s one of the best detectives in New York’s history. He was paralyzed three years prior and he is now disabled. Police asked him to help them with some cases.

DD:  What do you like/dislike about him?

RH: I like him because he’s complicated, he has attitude, is bright and not easily fooled. I appreciate his complexity and attitude because I got a little attitude myself. I can put some of mine into his and mix it all up.

DD: Is this role a challenge for you?

RH:  It’s a beautiful challenge. I’m 25 years in this business and I’m still being challenged. It’s wonderful when the industry can still believe in your abilities. It says you have what it takes to carry a show.

DD: Is carrying a show daunting?

RH: It’s not daunting because I’m where I’m supposed to be.  I call myself an actor of the first order because I was introduced to this through August Wilson and Lynn Nottage. So when you come in at a high level you want to maintain that integrity.

DD:  This is an emotional role to play. There is a lot of violence. How do you prepare yourself to enter Lincoln and how do you come out of it?

RH: When we shot the pilot, we were in New York for five weeks. I left my family and I basically put myself in seclusion or isolation. I need isolation to prepare so I can mentally, physically and spiritually become the character. Mentally preparing for the role, I worked on the sound of silence and stillness. I need to just be still, no radio, TV, music, or phone. It’s about just thinking with your thoughts. You’re talking about a man who was paralyzed. The sound of silence had to become a friend. You can't run from that.

DD: Talk about acting, most of the time, from a bed.  Do you have to use a different skill?

RH: The biggest thing, honestly, is doing my homework and knowing the lines. I’m 45-years-old and sometimes it’s just about doing the work.  There is no dry run. You have to show up ready to go.

DD: Even that has to be challenging.

RH: Challenging? Yes!  Not having mobility is challenging. It's a challenge I welcomed and embraced. I have to focus on the words. Use the words for tone and emphasis. It becomes about a look, an elongated stare or how do you shorten a phrase. I’m up for the challenge. I’ve committed myself appropriately.

DD: I understand you read the first Bone Collector book. Did it help you in any way?

RH: It was very helpful in understanding where he is mentally. All you have to do is dive into it. That's all you can do as an actor. After 20-plus years as an actor, I know that five or 10 years ago, I wouldn’t have been prepared for this role. I am now. Now I have a lot more to give. There are more texture and nuance.

DD: There are tons of things to watch on television, why should audiences watch this show?

RH: We’re talking about one of the most acclaimed novels in the world. Lincoln Rhyme, the character, is acclaimed. It’s an international hit. The character and story are interesting and compelling. The 2020 technology brings about a different phase. We can tell a broader story. People should watch the show because I’m in it. Russell Hornsby has something to offer.  I feel I do. Plus, the cast is wonderful. We are interesting to watch.

DD:  You’ve been in the business for a minute now. How has it changed over the years?

RH: The biggest thing for me is that there are a lot of young actors getting work. On its face, it’s a good thing. But it's also a detriment. Young actors are getting work too early. They are ill-prepared for the amount of success and the opportunity they are getting at a young age. Mentorship and apprenticeship are lacking. The returns are not in yet. Anybody can have a job, but not everybody can have a career. I wish they took more time to go to the theater and take time and learn. That way you have something under you.

DD: Are you encouraged or discouraged about where the industry is headed?

RH: I am here not just because of talent. I had someone there to teach me and guide me down the right path. Listen before I speak and drop me with some game. It’s encouraging because there are opportunities. Work is being done. Black people are striving. Black women are doing well. It’s never going to be what you want it to be.












No comments:

Post a Comment