Saturday, January 30, 2021

NBC Sitcom 'Kenan' Set To Premiere February 16


By Darlene Donloe

Kenan Thompson is one of the most beloved cast members on the iconic NBC ensemble sketch comedy, Saturday Night Live (SNL). He is expanding his comedy repertoire this television season when he stars in ‘Kenan,’ a new NBC comedy set to premiere Tuesday, Feb. 16 at 8:30 p.m.  

On the show, Thompson plays a morning talk show personality, who is recently widowed and struggling to raise his two daughters, despite the help of his father-in-law and brother.

‘Kenan’ stars Thompson (KT), Don Johnson, Chris Redd, Kimrie Lewis, and Dani and Dannah Lane.  The show is executive produced by Davis Caspe, Jackie Clarke, and Ken Whittingham, who also directs.

Q: Process of getting to this point.

K: It was a long process. Me and Jackie (Clarke) talked over the summer. Wanted a show we hadn’t seen before. Trying to think of a new twist on a father figure.  Chris Rock was involved. That was good. Now we’ve stretched out to what it is now. Grateful to live with the material. We got some pretty great people in it. It’s been going how it goes.

Q: How are you making SNL and your new show work?  Are you still go back and forth?

KT: We’ve only done it once so far. We’ll see how it goes.  We’ll see how that turn around goes. I won’t be overly exhausted. We’ll hold each other up.

Q: David and Jackie: How is it to find an ensemble to nail that energy?

DC: Anyone in this cast could have their own show. I’m happy to be along for the ride. 

JC: It’s really, I couldn't ask for a better cast. We’re so lucky. They make our jobs so easy.

Q: Kenan, nobody has a career like you. You started as a teen. Did you ever think at this time you would be as busy as you are today?

KT: It’s always been a goal to stay busy and start working. I couldn’t have pictured it being the way it is, but I’m definitely enjoying the ride.  I couldn’t be prouder, let alone being tired. I’m in good company. 

Q: Don, what’s it like to be doing comedy after drama?

DJ: It’s amazingly joyful hard work. The good thing about it is, I get to work with these guys who are so good and such professionals. They pick me up and are supportive. I watch and say I have to keep up with that. 

Q: Keenan, you have worked with multi-cam. Are you planning a multi-cam? Do you miss not having an audience?

KT: It’s different. The show is designed to be different. No multi-cam with an audience. We have to find those moments and stretch out and make it work in single camera. We’re Scorcese out here.

Q: The final scene of the pilot. That is establishing a backstory of the family. How much more are we going to get over the course of a season?

JC: We’re establishing. When we have a mom that is deceased it drives me crazy that that’s a ghost. You are going to see her in flashbacks. The backstory is that they were teenagers on a sitcom called ‘Grownup Little Boy’. We’re playing with that a lot. You’ll see more of that.

Q: Why was it important to have her pass away, or divorces or something like that?

JC: My mom passed when I was little. I thought what if you have a guy like Keenan, the nicest guy in the world devoted to his daughters.

KT: It was something we hadn’t seen before. I hadn’t seen someone dealing with something like this. 

Q: Don, you got great reviews on Watchmen. Who would think you’d end up here?

DJ: It was at the beginning of the pandemic. They pulled the movie. I get a call from Loren Michaels. We’re friends. He said let me send you something. Then Kenan and I got on the phone. Instant chemistry. I am blessed working with these comedians and writers. 

Q: Kenan, can you compare Don Johnson to Kel Mitchell?

KT: I would have to mix Chris (Redd) in there. They stack up pretty solid. Anytime I’m given the straight man position I love to sink my teeth in that. One smells better than the other. I won’t say who that is. We are making good progress here. I couldn’t be happier. It’s fun when the three of us have the opportunity to be the children. 

Q: Kenan, do any of your personal experiences give you an affinity for your character?

KT: No, my only experience is watching from a distance how someone I know went through something like this. I’m terrified to go there. How would I feel if I lost my best friend, teammate?  I give it up to single parents. I have the utmost respect for single parents. 

Q: Is your comedy going to deal with social issues.

KT: I don't think we’re getting political necessarily.  We don't have to have a Black Lives Matter episode. We have a nice, strong African American cast. A family unit. Not just a one-sided family unit. We’re trying to reflect what we’ve seen in families.

Q: Kenan, what role does social media play in your creative process? Will it be important to check in weekly?

KT: Yeah, it’s good to always engage as long as it's positive feedback. We want to stay on tone. We put together a diverse enough writers room.  We want it to be positive.   We are going to rely on our own creativity. We’ll be checking in to satisfy certain issues.










No comments:

Post a Comment