Saturday, February 6, 2016

Wendy Raquel Robinson Says 'Here We Go Again'

Cast of Here We Go Again

By Darlene Donloe

Award-winning actress Wendy Raquel Robinson has been a fixture on television for several decades.  She’s played memorable roles from the funny principal, Regina, on The Steve Harvey Show, to the outrageous and feisty sports manager, Tasha Mack, on BET’s The Game.

This Tuesday, Feb. 9, Robinson takes on the role of Loretta on TV One’s original comedy series, Here We Go Again.

Loretta, who is widowed and a single mother, had her child when she was 16.  Her daughter, Maddy (LeToya Luckett) is a successful lawyer and a single mother who also had her child, Shante (Kyndall Ferguson), at the age of 16.

Because of the similarities, Maddy is convinced there is a "Walker Women's Curse."

The women’s lives are upended after a series of events sends them along an unexpected journey.

The multi-talented Robinson, who also dances, directs, produces and choreographs, is looking forward to her latest effort being as big a hit as her previous works.

Robinson, who has received many accolades for her efforts in the community, works with youth and the performing arts at her school, Amazing Grace Conservatory,
where she has served as co-founder since 1997.

I recently caught up with Robinson (WRR) at TV One in Los Angeles to talk about her new show, Here We Go Again.

Wendy Raquel Robinson


Q:  What makes you feel most confident?

WRR: I feel like I’ve played all these strong women. Believing in myself and God using me as a vessel. I hide behind the characters.  It’s about accepting flaws and who you are. 

Q: Talk about your character, Loretta.

WRR:  Loretta is the antithesis of me. She lives through her daughter. She is the total opposite of me, but she lives and owns her sexy.

Q: How important is it to you that this show is on a Black station?

WRR:  It’s humbling for me. I’ve been to the Image Awards 14 consecutive years. We have to shake it up and get back to ours. This is an opportunity for us to shine.

Q: Some people say the show is advocating teen pregnancy. Your thoughts.

WRR: Yes, I’ve heard about the backlash about promoting teen moms. No, we’re not. If anything we’re being the issue to light. It’s not about where you come from, it’s where you’re going.  We’re bringing awareness.

Q: Is there anything you don’t like about your character?

WRR: That she’s not in enough scenes. (laughter)

Q: Are you encouraged or discouraged about the entertainment industry?

WRR:  I’m encouraged about what’s going on in Hollywood. To see the Ava DuVernays and the Mara Brock Akils and Salim Akil. To see networks that are growing. TV One is opening up original programming, seeing records that BET broke with The Game.  The shock value with Empire. I’m seeing us not only behind the camera, writers, producers, directors. We are some of the baddest (pause) in music, period!  Why is Stevie Wonder the only one who has a radio station? It’s insane to me.  But, I’m encouraged. I’m encouraged about this whole movement with the Oscars®.   I know Chris [Rock] is going to sling it and bring record numbers – be it a boycott or not. I look at it from an optimistically realistic perspective.

Here We Go Again debuts Tuesday, Feb. 9, at 8 p.m. (ET) on TV One.

photo of Wendy Raquel Robinson by Darlene Donloe


No comments:

Post a Comment