Tuesday, May 10, 2022

'A Strange Loop' Grabs 11 Tony Nominations

The Pulitzer Prize-winning Broadway show A Strange Loop, the story of a Black queer writer, who is writing a musical about a Black queer writer writing a musical about a …, has received 11 Tony nominations and is leading the pack. 

Below are reactions from some of those nominated for Michael R. Jackson’s historic show.

A STRANGE LOOP has been nominated for 11 Tony Awards, including:

Best Book of a Musical, Michael R. Jackson

Best Original Score, Michael R. Jackson

Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role, Jaquel Spivey

Best Performance by an Actor in a Featured Role in a Musical, John-Andrew Morrison

Best Performance by an Actress in a Featured Role in a Musical, L Morgan Lee

Best Scenic Design of a Musical, Arnulfo Maldonado

Best Lighting Design of a Musical, Jen Schriever

Best Sound Design of a Musical, Drew Levy

Best Direction of a Musical, Stephen Brackett

Best Orchestrations, Charlie Rosen

Best Musical

 

REACTIONS:

 

STEPHEN BRACKETT, Director – A Strange Loop

“My partner and I were watching, and he broke out into tears and then I got a phone call from my mom, I answered, and she asked me for tech support help. I love everything about this show and I am so honored to be nominated.” 

JAQUEL SPIVEY, Best Actor – A Strange Loop

"This type of stuff doesn't happen for folks like me. Or so I thought. Until today..... I've put the possibility of even a Tony nomination out of my mind because I never believed it was possible for a person like me. I thought I had to be skinny, I thought I had to be masculine, I thought I had to be from a wealthy family, and I thought I had to be "Perfect." Turns out all I needed to be was Jaquel and that feels good as hell right now." 

L MORGAN LEE, Featured Actress – A Strange Loop

“My mind isn't processing that this is real. I can't stop crying. To specifically be a Trans actress in the company of these incredible women that I respect and have enjoyed for many years...This nomination is SO much bigger than me. I hope someone will see this moment and feel like they can go on. No matter what the world, or school, or people tell them they are "supposed" to be, how they are "supposed" to sound...that they will keep striving to love and embrace the fullest version of who they ARE. That they can safely find breath in choosing truth. That they will keep studying and working and dreaming the biggest dreams. I'm so full of gratitude this morning that I'm likely to burst! But first, an iced coffee and I'll probably watch The View.” 

JOHN-ANDREW MORRISON, Featured Actor – A Strange Loop

“I was trying to pretend like I wasn’t going to watch and something forced me out of bed and in front of the TV. I'm in shock but I’m thrilled. I’m thrilled for our show, and for all the folks that got nominated. It’s been a journey and I’m so very proud of us. I don’t know what to do with myself and my phone is going nuts. I keep telling myself to breathe and remember where my feet are. This is amazing. I want a latte.” 

BARBARA WHITMAN, Producer – A Strange Loop

“When I first heard Michael R. Jackson’s work, I knew I was hearing an exciting and important new voice in American Musical Theatre. I was taken on a trip that was funny, insightful, wild, and challenging – and I wanted to share this story that I had yet to see on a Broadway stage. I am so grateful to be able to work with the most talented creators, actors, and designers who have come together to tell this game-changing story eight times a week.”

JENNIFER SCHRIEVER, Lighting Design – A Strange Loop

“I’m sobbing in the Delta Sky Club near Terminal A in Boston Logan, where I'm flying back to NYC for 24 hours to see my 5-year-old son on my day of Tech in Cambridge. I don’t know how to express how emotional it was to be sitting here as so many deserving artists, and my dear friends, got recognized for their amazing work, and then I realized, THIS PARTY IS GOING TO BE INSANE!” 

ARNULFO MALDONADO, Scenic Design – A Strange Loop

"I am beyond thrilled and humbled by this nomination. I couldn't be more proud of our Strange Loop family -- over the moon, I am a part of this big, black, and queer-ass American Broadway show!" 

CHARLIE ROSEN, Orchestrations – A Strange Loop

“I’m THRILLED to be nominated for my collaboration with the genius Michael R. Jackson on this project. It is truly an honor to contribute to this show and music which shares its truth honestly and without compromise. It will be a standout moment in my mind and heart for the rest of my musical life. 

The 75th Annual Tony Award Awards will take place on Sunday, June 12th at Radio City Music Hall in New York City. The celebration can be viewed LIVE at 8-11PM ET/5-8PM PT on the CBS Television Network, and streaming live and on-demand on Paramount+. The Tony Awards press release is attached for details.

No comments:

Post a Comment