Monday, November 7, 2011

My Fair Wedding With David Tutera Returns For a Fifth Season

DAVID TUTERA

More brides will have their dream weddings realized as the fifth season of WEtv’s popular My Fair Wedding With David Tutera, is set to premiere Sun. Nov. 13.

An emotional Make-A-Wish wedding will kick off the new season as a son helps to fulfill his mother’s dream of a Zen-style wedding.

When bride Wendy’s teenage son, Ryan, received a life-threatening cancer diagnosis, she and her fiancé put their wedding plans on hold to tend to his medial needs. With a wish for his mother to have the wedding of her dreams Ryan asks the Make-A-Wish Foundation to bring David Tutera to Topeka, Kansas to give his mom the long-awaited ceremony.

Of course, it’s Tutera to the rescue!
DAVID TUTERA & BRIDE - DIAMOND

That’s just one of the scheduled 18 hour-long episodes set for this season.

Tutera, who planned Star Jones’ wedding, once again works his magic in a season that will have surprises and moments of gut-wrenching emotion.

One bride will spend nearly her entire wedding budget on a designer gown and shoes, another wants an entire wedding of black to match their all-Goth fashion lifestyle, including a black bridal gown, black bridesmaids’ dresses and even a black flower girl dress. Another bride wants her outdoor wedding to resemble Tuscany, Italy, while yet another wants a dragonfly-themed wedding as a symbol of hope.

I recently caught up with Tutera at a luncheon at Café Entourage in Hollywood to discuss the upcoming season.
DAVID TUTERA with FONZWORTH & FAUNE WATKINS
watch a sneak peek of My Fair Wedding at Cafe Entourage in Hollywood

Q: How do you decide what brides are going to be on the show and once that decision has been made, how do you go about deciding what little special extras to give a particular bride?

DT: Five years ago we had a mere 300 applicants. This season we had more than 10,000 applicants. No lack of people. It goes through casting, the network and the producers. I have nothing to do with it – which is a joy. Over the past four seasons the producers have begged me to be part of the process. I’ve consistently fought it, because I want it to be real. The first thing I do is, I get out of the car and I say before I knock on the door, ‘what’s her name?” I literally don’t know her name. I knock on the door and walk in. I have to get this wedding done in six days. In every situation, I have no idea what I’m doing. I’m obsessed with these brides. I have big responsibility of giving the brides and the viewers what they want.  Now I’m a co-producer of the show and I’m part of every single detail of every single beat of the show. I want to give the viewer the magic they deserve.

Q: How do you get weddings done in a couple of days?

DT: If I wouldn’t have had 25 years in this business, there’s no way I could get these things done.

Q: What are you feelings when you see how an audience reacts to one of your shows where you’ve made someone’s dream wedding a reality?

DAVID TUTERA

DT: I’m a very sappy guy. I still get emotional. I feel it. When I see people respond, I get emotional. It makes me realize I’m doing the right thing. People are understanding what the show is all about.

Q: There have to be times when a bride doesn’t want to listen to you or wants to wear something that is not appropriate for her size.

DT: Well, first I don’t judge people – ever. I’m there to help them have the best wedding ever. I’m here for them. I’ve also learned that listening is very important.

Q: What kinds of issues have you had from grooms?

DT: I’ve worked with grooms. I don’t want them to just be the guy that shows up at the altar.

Q: You have a line of dresses – what thinking goes into your designs.

DT: When I pick dresses for a bride, I think about the personality of the person.  In my collection there is something for every bride. In my new line, which I just launched recently in the New York City market, there are 30 dresses and there are different looks for different personalities. The dresses go up to size 26. That’s my demo. They need to look and feel spectacular. That’s what’s missing in the market.

Tutera’s David Tutera by Faviana collection is designed for real-life stars and beautiful brides who dream of turning heads on the white carpet. They dresses are also inspired by gowns worn by celebrities on the red carpet.

"Inspired by the red carpet, worn on the white carpet" is the signature of the luxury collection for brides who want to capture the essence of celebrity style for their big day. Designs range from classic and beautiful to dramatic and innovative, while reflecting the culture of couture.

On January 26, 2012, Tutera will become the first man to grace the cover of the national publication, Bridal Guide. Needless to say, he’s pumped, but he also is ready to make history.

MY FAIR WEDDING premieres 
November 13 on WE


DT: I found out a year ago that there has never been a black woman of color on the cover of a national publication for weddings.  When I asked to see the spread concept. It was a beautiful spread. But, I said I’m not doing this cover unless the women next to me is a black woman. They said, ‘we can’t do that.’  I said, well I’m not doing the cover. So, we’re doing the cover and I will make sure that happens.

My Fair Wedding with David Tutera is produced by WE tv by Pilgrim Films & Television. Executive producer for WE tv: Kate Farrell; SVP of Original Productions & Development: John Miller. Executive producer for Pilgrim Films & Television: Craig Piligian

1 comment:

  1. Ilove the show and in love with David Tutera just the way he makes everything looks like a dream come true , makes me melt I will be so happy to have him plan my wedding for next year ..

    ReplyDelete