Thursday, October 17, 2013

Lupita Nyong'o Stars in '12 Years A Slave'



12 Years A Slave is one of the most highly-anticipated films of the years.

Set for an Oct. 18 release, Steve McQueen’s critically acclaimed, gripping tale is already getting a lot of Oscar® buzz.

The highly-anticipated film features an all-star cast that includes: Chiwetel Ejiofor, Lupita Nyong’o, Michael Fassbender, Benedict Cumberbatch, Paul Giamatti, Alfre Woodard, Sarah Paulson, Paul Dano, Scoot McNairy, Garrett Dillahunt, Dwight Henry, Quvenzhane Wallis, Michael K. Williams, and Brad Pitt. 

The movie, based on a true story, is a riveting account of Solomon Northup, a free black man who was kidnapped from New York and sold into brutal slavery in mid-1850s Louisiana, and the inspiring story of his desperate struggle to return home to his family.


 MICHAEL FASSBENDER, LUPITA NYONG'O 
and CHIWETEL EJIOFOR

Newcomer Lupita Nyong’o is getting a lot of attention for her role as a slave named  Patsey. The Kenyan actress, who will co-star alongside Liam Neeson and Julianne Moore next year in the thriller NON-STOP, is also a filmmaker. She was the creator, director, editor and producer of the award-winning feature-length documentary, In My Genes.

I recently caught up with Nyong’o in New York to talk about her role in the film.

DD: This is a huge role for a newcomer.  You had just graduated from Yale Drama School.

LN: This project is something that never in my dreams did I think I would be a part of.  When I auditioned for it I was just trying to do my best in the moment.

DD: Is it true you had just graduated?

LN: I had just gotten out of drama school. This was a gift all the way around.

SARAH PAULSON and LUPITA NYONG'O
DD: The subject matter is deep. Did you know about it?

LN: I don’t retain information very well. I didn’t do well in history.  That’s what I like about acting, you get to take history personally.

DD: You are working with some heavyweights.

LN: I have learned so much that I didn’t know. This story, I didn’t know about it. In fact, I didn’t know that I didn’t know.

DD: I understand you attended a screening in Saratogo, New York and that you got to meet some of his descendants.

LN: It was incredible to be in a room with Solomon’s people who had his blood. I felt privileged to be at a family reunion.

No comments:

Post a Comment